Posts Tagged ‘Therapist’
Roswell Therapist Steven D Brand LSW, MSW recently took a trip to Africa this past March 2016. Steve’s mission was to share with the people in several churches of Africa, various tools that could strengthen their relationships and individual mental health.
1) Why did you take the trip? What were you hoping to accomplish?
To teach, preach and counsel with members of the Accra, Ghana churches. My goal was to give to the extent that when we got back on the plane to Atlanta, we would be exhausted. We succeeded.
2. Did you meet your goals? How?
Yes, we did a lot of marriage counseling, taught staff and regional leaders. On one combined midweek service, we presented a couples workshop. I also taught a personal mental health seminar. Finally, I preached at a Sunday service. The ministers gave us their most challenging marriage scenarios to counsel. My wife and I gave and gave until we were spent.
3. What was the most surprising thing about the trip that you didn’t expect to happen?
There was a palpable hunger and thirst for our unique perspective. The response of the people was overwhelmingly positive and grateful. We were meeting massive unmet needs with skills that other typical out of town guests just didn’t have to offer.
4. What mindset should people have when visiting Africa? What mindset should people not have when visiting?
Go to give, serve & work. Don’t judge Africa by Western standards.
5. Summarize people’s responses to your visit.
Gratitude. Move here. Come back as soon as possible.
6. Will you return? And if so what will you do differently?
We will go back, maybe to live; but at the very least 2-3x per year.
Certainly next time we will have multiple appointments with folks, for maximum impact and change.